Jun 2, 2011

Crazy, Crazy, Crazy

Life gets crazy. It's strange that I would find some sort of comfort in going out and running, but it is the only cure for an uncertain world. Even when running is uncertain, it still provides a comfort and stability. I think in all the status updates, all the emails, all the shows we have to see, all the things that have to get done, all the time we don't have to do it, and all the running around, running is the only thing that actually allows us to relax. I went out for my long run on Monday, last week, and I rediscovered why I am doing this. I spent 1 hour and 22 minutes just paying attention to how I feel. How is my pace? Are my feet getting blisters? Watch out for that rock. Oh boy, here comes the uphill. Slow down, catch your breath. God it's beautiful out here. It seems hectic, but its so introspective, it's relaxing. It's giving you the opportunity to evaluate you, to see whats going on around you, and to experience burdens and accomplishments alike. I can only hope that more people can enjoy it, just don't crowd my lane, haha.

I have experienced so many strange looks, objections, arguments, comments, insults, and reactions that can only be described as disbelief. I am 6'0", 220lbs. I started this adventure at 240lbs. I'm not all the way there yet, but I'm getting there. Something I learned in the military is that no matter how much you learn, there is always more. I learn something new with every step, every post run evaluation, and every forum, blog, review, comment I read. It's the beauty of the whole thing. I am just here trying to learn as much as I can and keep an open mind to something new. If hadn't done that, I wouldn't have started this odyssey in the first place. I have a 10 mile run this weekend. I am so excited to do it. Nothing feels better than doing it.




Maine is a temperamental place, with lots of cons. But, when it's nice out, what a beautiful coastline. Find some and run it. This guy is a perfect example. A relatively even, easy 9 min pace. I need to start checking out options for hydration/nutrition on the run. When I hit the hour mark, I started to feel weaker, noticeably. I think between hydration and bringing a booster on the run with me, I should be all set. I have checked out some options and I think I am going to start trying to evaluate them. Other than that, though, what a great run. I enjoyed every minute of it, even the rough ones.

If you can't enjoy running, I'm not sure why you would bother. I didn't ever want to do this, until I found out it's fun. I have spent hours reading everything I can find on form, stance, arm swing, foot fall, gear, clothes, shoes, techniques, and nutrition. I don't know it all, and that's half the fun. I get to experience the learning process every time I go out. Find what works and try to improve, then keep an open mind to what might work better. Not everything does, but that shouldn't stop you from trying. I can't wait to hit the road again. Until next time, keep running.

No comments:

Post a Comment