Apr 16, 2011

WTF!?!

The Mrs. and I started our death-by-Bob-Harper workout yesterday, and I have to admit that I was hurting. By the end of this thing I am a sweaty mess, it's not good. Stace somehow gracefully cruises through it, though. After it's all said and done, she is a little red, but not nearly as destroyed looking as I feel. It's mildly upsetting. She also has the ability to hold the down position in a squat, something I cannot accomplish. After the slayfest, I headed out for a little run.



Not hugely impressive on time, but distance surprised me. I headed out on the trail I like to run on, but in  different direction today. This direction is better, it's in the woods and its very appeasing, plus there is much less traffic on this part of the trail. So here I am, running along at an easy pace, and BAM! SNOW!!! Very disappointing. Well, I am not interrupting my run for a little snow, so I trudge right through it. Let's get a clear picture of whats happening here, all the dirt around the snow have turned to mud, so my feet are covered in mud. The snow isn't that bad to run in, just a little cold, however, the "snow" in the shade is really ice. and that is impossible to run on in what is essentially a ballet flat, i.e. no traction. So I stop running and transfer to this shuffle/slip/slide until I get off the snow. Then it becomes a mud slog for a while, then back on the snow. The good new is, this only lasted about a half mile, and I got back to a regular run on the trail.

My run started out with a 1.5 mile goal. Other that the terrestrial issues, it felt great. I was at a nice and easy pace (this is my 'short/slow' day) and I hit my 1.5 turnaround and could not resist continuing my run. So I continued on and almost hit 3 miles. I am still concerned about the GPS on my phone not performing to the proper standards and I felt like I had run 3 miles. I got home and mapped it out on Google Maps and found that my GPS is working fine, I am just slow and lazy. once again, my times weren't great, but I had alot of fun, and I am happy about my run. My form is perfecting, and my speed will come with time. I think I might try to squeeze a day or two into the week where I do some speed work, like sprints and hills. We'll see. Till next time, keep running.

No comments:

Post a Comment